2021 Annual Conference
Monday, October 18 Meeting, and Presentations
President’s Welcome and Annual Business Meeting
11:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Better Retirement Decisions
11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Robert Laura, Retirement Activist
What if I told you clients don’t always make retirement decisions that are in their best interest? What if I said I could explain why some people thrive while others struggle with their new life after work? Reality is, there is a new narrative for retirement, one where “Better Retirement Decisions” need to include aspects of psychology and human behavior in order to disrupt old and outdated beliefs and create new paths and patterns.
National Pension Case Law Update
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Robert Klausner, Esq., Klausner,
Kaufman, Jensen & Levinson, P.A.
In this session, Robert Klausner will bring us up to date on the major legal issues facing public pension funds at the local, state, and national levels. Bob specializes in representing more than 150 public pension funds in 25 states and territories, and has assisted in the drafting of many state and local laws on public employee retirement.
Bob will cover considerations and recent case law in the administration of service retirements, death benefits, disability, division of benefits in divorce, and cost-of-living adjustments.
He’ll also discuss rulemaking, sovereign immunity, fiduciary duty, investments, and constitutional issues.
Tuesday, October 19 Presentations
Federal Update on Retirement Issues
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Jeannine Markoe Raymond, National Association of State Retirement Administrators
Hear the latest on federal legislative and regulatory proposals that could impact governmental pension plans, such as:
- Retirement provisions in pandemic-related economic stimulus legislation
- Proposals to limit plan investments, restrict use of federal aid, or mandate federal reporting and disclosure
- Potential changes to the federal tax treatment of plan contributions, investments and distributions
- Initiatives to encourage pension ownership of public infrastructure, including in-kind asset transfers
- Legislation and regulations affecting plans and participants not covered by Social Security
- Proposed regulations on allowable pension costs for federal grants and awards
Hack Your Habits – a practical application of neuroscience to change your life for the better!
12:15 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
John Kennedy, Neuroplastician, Master Executive Brain Coach | International Speaker | Process Efficiency Consultant
We all have habits; some we like and some we’d like to change. Habits are something neuroscientists call a “zombie system”. Just as zombies function without thinking, our habits can take control without our conscious supervision. Yet, they define our effectiveness in everything we do.
There is a common myth that it takes 6 weeks to change a habit. Yet, by understanding and utilizing the power of our brains to change from repetition called neuroplasticity, we can change habits much faster – sometimes in less than an hour!
- You’ll learn about neuroplasticity and how this knowledge can help you in all areas of your life.
- You’ll learn two neuroscience-based ways to change your habits quickly and effectively.
- Finally, you’ll leave with a plan and the confidence to know that you can hack your habits!